Release and Indemnity
TO: Name of Party Sponsoring Event (the “Sponsor”)
IN CONSIDERATION OF being permitted to participate in the ______________ (“Event”), the undersigned, on behalf of myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, hereby:
1. Acknowledges that the undersigned’s participation in the Event may include activities that may be hazardous to the undersigned and assumes the risk of injury or harm associated with such participation.
2. Releases and forever discharges the Sponsor and its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, affiliates, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively the “Releasees”) of and from all liability, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses, actions and causes of action (collectively the “Claims”) in respect of death, injury, loss or damage to myself or property howsoever caused, arising or to arise by reason of or during my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to my attendance and notwithstanding that any Claim may have been contributed to or occasioned by the negligence of any of the Releasees.
3. Indemnifies and holds harmless the Releasees from and against any and all liability incurred by any or all of them arising as a result of or in any way connected to my participation in the Event.
4. Understands and acknowledges that the Sponsor does not carry or maintain health, medical or disability insurance coverage for the undersigned and therefore agrees to assume responsibility for such insurance coverage on the undersigned.
5. Agrees that in the event that any provision of this Release and Indemnity is held to be invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity or unenforceability of such provision will not affect the remaining provisions of this Release and Indemnity, which shall continue to be enforceable.
I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE READING, UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEING WITH THE FOREGOING.
Witness Signature Signature of Participant
Date: Print Name: ______________
Release and Indemnity
This review list is provided to inform you about this document in question and assist you in its preparation. It is a sound practice to use this release widely in local nonprofit activities. It can also be adapted for personal use should you take children on trips, outdoor activities, and the like. The difficult part is to ask people to sign, often the very ones most apt to sue! Often, you can change this form into a blanket one and use it with your children’s friends’ parents, to name but one example. This is less aggressive but almost as effective (blanket releases are more attackable on the “I didn’t know they were going to do xy or z.”).
1. Make multiple copies. Give one to the signatory. Keep one with the transaction file.